Tuesday 11 August 2009

Solo Exped


(8.8.2009) Balloch to Tarbet cycle


This was to be my first solo expedition involving cycling and my first solo Munros. Got the train to Balloch in the early afternoon and cycled to Tarbet ,17 mile, 27 km, mostly on a traffic free path with 3 short stretches on minor roads.The route travels up the old drovers road next to the A82 through tourist villages such as Luss and Inverberg. From Tarbet I cycled back 1 mile to the shore of Loch Lomond and set up a wild camp spot. Made some noodles then had a great nights sleep.

Camp spot
Loch Lomond from camp spot

(9.8.2009) Beinn Narnain 926m & Beinn Ime 1011m,14 km, 9 mile, 6 hours



Packed up the tent after breakfast then cycled into Tarbet to get information on the ferry service. Then cycled another 2 mile cycle to Arrochar village were I got money out of the cash machine. Started at the forestry commission car park at the south side of Loch Long (sea level) at 11am where I hide my bike in the undergrowth and chained it to a tree. Followed the marked path up through the woods and then out into the open with views of the cobbler up ahead. From the junction of paths at the Allt a' Bhalachain I took the faint and narrow, boggy path right in an easterly direction. The path faded and i soon climbed north via the Allt a’ bhalachain which turned into abit of a scramble in places. I then walked in a north east direction around the side of the mountain and then headed north up towards the left hand side of Cruach nam Miseag through the deep heather until I eventually found the path before the rock buttress of the spearhead. From here I followed the path up the rock gully with a small bit of scrambling before I came to the stony plateau and the summit trig point at 13.40. The views of the summit was clear with sunny spells and cloud.

Arrochar
Route up Spearhead Gully
Me on Ben Narnain summit
Loch Long from the summit

The Cobbler from Ben Narnain
Beinn Ime from Ben Narnain

From Beinn Narnain I continued  west across the stony plateau and descended the path north west towards the bealach, looking ahead to Beinn Ime. Various parts were quite stony so care was needed. I then followed the path down then up by Bealach a Mhaim up towards Beinn Ime’s grassy, boggy slopes. The ascent was long with 400 metres from the bealach and I reached the summit cairn at 15.05 to clear views however the mist was closing in fast. Not before I had ran out of water but a Glasgow couple gave me some of theirs. Descended back via the path to the bealach then south east between the cobbler and Beinn Narnain following the well built path down the Coire a’ Bhalachain, passing the narnain boulders which were used by the early Glasgow climbers in the 1930’s for sleeping during the exploration of the Cobbler's cliffs. Followed the path alongside the Allt a' Bhalachain, crossing side streams on large stepping stones at times. Passed the small hydro dam on the right and back to the junction of paths. Followed the main path down through the trees and then felled trees down towards the Loch back to the car park for 17.00. Said my goodbyes to the Glasgow couple then cycled around to Arrochar where I stopped on bought food for the next again day. IGrabbed a chippy then cycled around 3 mile back to the wild camp spot I found the night before. Quickly pitched the tent before the rain came down and made myself some noodles with a cuppa soup. I was in the tent by 10 as the rain began to hammer it down and I felt content with the days walk.

Beinn Ime summit 
Looking back to the Cobbler

(10.8.2009) Ben Lomond 974m,12km,7.5 miles, 3.40mins


After a night of waking up a lot I awoke to rain and thick cloud. I txt from my mother however lifted my spirits as she said it was to clear so I decided to skip breakfast and pack up to get the ferry. Got to Tarbet and the guy helped me on to the small Lomond ferry. It was mostly used for tourists but also acted to ferry those over to Rowardennan. After 7 bucks 50 and a short 30 min crossing I was over at Rowardennan at 11am.

After hiding my bike in the undergrowth at the car park next to the info centre and toilets I set off at 11.10 am up the path through the oak woods then the felled forestry. Passed through an open gate to the open hillside giving good views of loch Lomond. The path then zig zags  north up the broad ridge of the mountain with a couple of false summits. The path climbs steeply on the final ascent to the summit ridge. It then levels off to curve to the left around the rim of the eastern Corie a Bhathaich, hidden until this point up to the summit trig point which was reached at 13.20. The day was cloudy with occasional sunny spells and the summit was clear but the mist drew in quickly. There were cracking views of the surrounding arrochar alps and Loch Lomond islands. I descended by retracing my outward route back down the path as I still had a 20 mile cycle back to Balloch.

Heading up Ben Lomond
Loch Lomond
Summit view West to Arrochar Alps
Summit view East
Loch Lomond Islands

(10.8.09) Rowardennan to Balloch 20 mile 32 km 2 hours 40 min


I reached the car park at 3. Unchained  my bike from the tree, grabbed some warm water from the toilets then started cycling out of Rowardennan in a south easterly direction at 15.30. Cycled along the quiet B837 passing a few walkers walking the west highland way. There were also good views towards the islands of Loch Lomond. I also had to get off and push my bike up a few hills. At one point I ran out of water and wanted to get to Balmaha quickly. Got there soon enough for a couple of bottles of water. Further on there were good views of conic hill where I walked over back in sept 2007. 11 mile later I stopped off at the town of Drymen. From here I followed sustrans NCN 7 to Balloch. The route then went south east following the west highland way along to Easter Drumquhassle farm, south west along a dismantled railway and quiet country roads. The sun was out so there was great views towards Ben Lomond and Loch Lomond. Finally I cycled into Balloch country park then onto the train home. 

Ben Lomond 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ptarmigan November Meet (Callander)

(6.11.2016) Ben Vane & Ben Ledi, 23km. 7hrs. 1,067m ascent Ptarmigan November Meet high tea was at the Lade Inn, just outside Callande...